Sunday, December 28, 2014

Starting Over

Sadly, after 4 years of keeping in decent shape and traveling around the Northeast doing dozens of obstacle course races I find myself right back where I started.  When I began this journey 4 years ago, getting ready for my first Warrior Dash I tipped the scales at 300 pounds.  Now I find myself heading into a new year back up to almost 290.  And it isn't just the weight, it is the lack of fitness.  I began to let my exercise routine falter as the year moved on and then around Thanksgiving I got full on flu. After spending 7 or 8 days in bed I spent the rest of the year trying to regain my strength and not get sick again.  Now I am a lump.  A big round lump.

Instead of boring you all and angering myself with the litany of reasons for this fall from fitness and a healthy lifestyle I will instead turn to the future.  I am going to try to get back to a routine of fitness, to a life filled with good habits, to a longer future with my grand daughters, and to hopefully a longer future with my knees and hips (which have not liked this added weight one bit).

Some of you may have noticed that if you are reading this, it is not on my old website.  After basically ignoring the old blog all year I decided to not spend anymore more money on a domain that I was no longer using, so muddywarrior.com has returned to the dust heap of history.  I am going to keep it simple here but now realize that blogging about racing and fitness and life kept me honest with my fitness goals. So if I am going to return to good habits, maybe this is one of them.

But I am not only going to push myself but hopefully some of you.  If you are in the Pittsburgh area i am challenging you to join me at Battlefrog Pittsburgh on August 8, 2015.  This is a great race (the one where I went through the old mine) and it will allow for people of all fitness levels to compete due to the differing race lengths.  More on that in the days ahead - just keep the date in your head.


1 comment:

  1. I will be there I am going to do the 15k Saturday and the 5k Sunday. I am also now part of the BattleFrog Field team and if you use code BFGardner you can get 15% off on your race registration. It was my favorite race last year great for the family.

    ReplyDelete